Welcome

Over the last several years I've been dealing with various stages of disability thanks to ALS. My goal is to share solutions and review various products/tools/devices that I have found particularly helpful.

Thursday 27 September 2012

Stupid Solutions to Stupid Problems

As my ALS progresses I'm losing function and strengthen my hands causing doors to start to become part of the problem, and this is been ongoing for around about a year. The regular round doorknobs I just don't have the strength to really hold onto anymore and turn. So a number of the doors in the house I replaced with a standard lever handle. And for the most part this worked out just fine, each door costing me about C$25. Not too much and I kind of prefer the look of the new doorknobs anyway. However, I do have a little 2 1/2-year-old running around the house, and if the lever makes the door it easier for me, then it sure makes it easier for him as well.

There's a few rooms we don't really want him to have access to… Like the stairway to the basement for example. So up until recently he wasn't able to deal with the standard doorknobs but of course I still wanted access, and of course if I put any child safety doorknob thing on there's no possible way I could open the door. What I needed was a way to apply extra grip to the door for my weakening hands, and it occurred to me the old trick for opening jars of spaghetti sauce would work just as well for opening a door knob… Add a rubber band… Duh!

This is of course a stupidly simple solution, but sometimes these stupid solutions stare us in the face and we just don't realize them and this can be just as true for the experts we invite to help. I even had a conversation with one of them about this issue and they handed me a strip of no slip plastic that I would have to carry around and place on the door, and then turned the doorknob.

The rubber band solution is so much easier.

Anyway, for the moment this is working quite well and the rubber band very rarely needs to be repositioned and it's only been in the last month or so my son is been able to actually open the door at this point is pretty good at the stairs I'm not terribly worried…

No comments:

Post a Comment